[BangPypers] [OT] Introducing myself

Jonathan Toomim jtoomim at jtoomim.org
Tue Jan 8 19:25:12 CET 2013

Thanks everyone for the advice and offers of assistance.

When I looked at the website of CIS a few weeks ago, it appeared to me
to be more of a think tank/news organization than a hackerspace. It
sounds like that impression was false. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it
out.

If I have the time, I wouldn't mind holding a workshop or two. Svaksha,
are you mostly interested in learning how to do the electrical
engineering stuff, or did you want a workshop on the uses of HEG itself?

As for equipment, the most important thing for me to find will be an
oscilloscope. Soldering irons are cheap; microscopes are very helpful
for SMD soldering work, but not necessary, and can be replaced with a
good magnifying glass; and I haven't actually needed a laser cutter for
a while. I guess I'll have to look around for a cheap used scope after I
arrive, and maybe donate it to Jaaga or CIS.

Pradeep, would use of IISc's incubation center be available to me (or,
eventually, my employees) as a foreigner? As for IIM, I must admit my
prejudice: I'm somewhat psychologically allergic to management/business
types; being questioned too long about my value proposition and how I
intend to leverage social capital to achieve priority objectives has a
tendency to result in inflammation of my amygdala.

Jonathan