[BangPypers] [Novice] Question on File seek and tell methods

davidsnt davidsnt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 21:48:06 CEST 2013

Group,

I need a little help in using the file seek and tell methods, I have a file
with n lines, in which I have to find out the line which starts from a
particular keyword and print all the lines until I find next matching
keyword.

I did a work around using seek and tell, I used regex as well. I opened the
file, read line by line in a for loop, and checked each line for the
keyword used tell() to get the position and the seek() to move my cursor
and tried to print next lines until I get the next matching keyword but I
failed can you help me here.

Example test file

test.log

Bangalore
Hyderabad
Chennai
Mumbai
Tennis
Cricket
Poker
Angry Birds
Cricket
Mumbai
Chennai

I want to read and print from Chennai to Angry Birds

import sys,re

f = open('test.log', 'r')

for line in f:
         match = re.search('^Chennai', line)