[BangPypers] Need help for python coding

Jonathan Toomim jtoomim at jtoomim.org
Wed Mar 27 08:08:10 CET 2013

1. str is the name of a builtin type object. If you create a variable
with that name, then you will be unable to access that builtin type
while your variable remained in scope. This would mean that you would be
unable to call str(42), for example.

2. Perhaps the csv module can be of use to you?
http://docs.python.org/2/library/csv.html

3. There's an easier way to test if there's a substring present in a string:

for line in f_read:
     if 'VON MISES' in line:
         print m

If you want case insensitivity, just replace line with line.upper().

4. By the way, you could probably also do this in one line from bash
using grep:

grep "VON MISES" "file name" > "output file"

Jonathan