[BangPypers] First python interview

Navin Kabra navin at smriti.com
Tue Oct 15 07:55:41 CEST 2013

If I were interviewing you, I would not really be checking your python
knowledge (unless you claimed to be good in Python in your resume). I
would really check how good you are in Java (your primary language), and
your general programming and problem solving skills.

However, if I really wanted someone good in Python right now, I would
check how far you had progressed in writing 'pythonic' code. Here is one
attempt at making a list of features that newbies (i.e. people migrating
to python from other languages) typically miss, or learn late in life.

- List comprehensions and generators.
- Familiarity with the standard library - too much re-invention of the
  wheel exists in the world today. You shouldn't be adding to that problem.
- Use of *args and **kwargs
- knowledge of itertools
- Docstrings and Doctests
- scipy/numpy/matplotlib if you're doing anything with data

Even more advanced features - I really wouldn't expect you to know
these, but if you did, that would impress me:

- Generator expressions (and how to create those yourself). Combine with list comprehensions
- Decorators - to make your code concise and more readable. And learn to create decorators
- Understanding of python closures. A lot of complex code gets written by people who don't think of using an appropriate closure
- The 'with' statement.
- Properties.

I adapted this from here:
http://www.quora.com/Navin-Kabra/answers/Python-programming-language-1

Also check out this StackOverflow question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/101268/hidden-features-of-python