[BangPypers] Do you pin your requirements.txt ?

Saager Mhatre saager.mhatre at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 21:08:13 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Abdul Muneer <abdulmuneer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also pin requirements. But when I do 'pip freeze', I remove the packages
> that are installed as a dependency to main libraries which were explicitly
> installed.

I tend to avoid using 'pip freeze' as part of my dev flow for just this
reason.
YMMV, but it just adds busywork; easier to hand maintain a list of pinned
top-level packages.
As for (optimistically or pessimistically) pinned dependencies, I usually
pin them on a case-by-case basis.

Packages from pypi may specify dependency as ">=" and it will fetch the
> latest. But if you had pinned those too, it can cause conflicts especially
> if you upgrade the main component. Had run into issues because of this
> while working on a pylons project.

Ditto.
Except I recall hitting this when we were moving to py3k and one of the
'newer' packages of a dependency of something we were depending on added
code that was beyond 2to3's capability. :P

- d