[BangPypers] Getting started with DTrace.

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 15:07:49 CEST 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Balachandran Sivakumar <
benignbala at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sriram,
>
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I've resumed learning dtrace for debugging on production. Given Paul Fox'
> > work on dtrace for Linux (apart from dtrace being production ready on bsd
> > and Solaris), and the dtrace patches for Python ( both of which I haven't
> > tried yet), I think using dtrace will be most effective going forward.
> >

>             When you find some time, please do post a few Python
> dtrace one-liners here. It would be useful to the rest of us. Thanks

OSX, Solaris, BSD users: you already have DTrace.
Linux users: See https://github.com/dtrace4linux/linux

Once you've determined that you have dtrace (by either installing
dtrace4linux
Run python in one terminal window, and then dtrace -l | grep python in
another window.

Please see: http://www.brendangregg.com/dtrace.html#DTraceToolkit

Get the DTrace toolkit, and check the scripts in the python folder. Start
using these scripts. I've only tried this out on Solaris, though they may
work on other OS platforms too.

-- Ram
www.belenix.org