[BangPypers] Do you pin your requirements.txt ?

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 20:28:14 CEST 2013

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com> wrote:

> We almost never pin at HasGeek. If an external library breaks API, we
> upgrade our code ASAP (we discover breakage from Travis reports).
>
> I know I sound a little too particular, and frankly that is not my intent,
but there still remains an issue in terms of repeatability. The tests have
to be run as a part of the deployment process if you want to ensure that
the distributions you test with are the distributions that you deploy with.

> Between the risk of breaking code and having the hot seat at any hint of
> bit rot, I find the latter preferable.
>
> A sentiment I empathise with. Only yesterday I found code breaking against
python 3.3.1 (as opposed to 3.3.0) and hopefully should fix it in the next
couple of days. Its just that I've rarely found the luxury to hold back a
deployment should a piece of code break due to dependency version upgrades.
Thus dependency version upgrades almost work with a different time window
than just pure deployable distribution version upgrade cycle.