[BangPypers] What are you using for developing desktop GUIs?

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Fri Sep 27 16:05:10 CEST 2013

Sriram Karra <karra.etc at gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Isn't that the case with any cross-platform toolkit - if the intent is
> to be cross platform?

Yes but going inside the browser is more of a sacrifice than other
approaches. I mean, just launching the app will start a web server and
then a browser and take you inside there to do a task that should be
done locally. You don't get any of the native widgets (which you would
if you something like wx) and none of the behaviour you've configured
for local GUI apps.

I guess YMMV but if a local app launches a web server and a browser to
get things done, it's a deal breaker for me.

[...]

> Can you give some specific examples of what is possible in a Python
> app using a cross platform GUI toolkit and NOT possible with a webapp
> architecture when the web server and the browser are running on the
> same machine?

Hmmm. That's a good point. You're planning to use the HTML+CSS+JS purely
for presentation (instead of a gui toolkit). I suppose most things can
be done although perhaps using a combination of HTML/CSS/JS for UI and
then sending messages to the backend and doing the work there. This
sounds convoluted to me and I think it's overkill for a web app.

As for things not possible with a web app that work fine with a GUI, I
can think of games and other resource demanding applications but those
are not particularly cross platform anyway so you're right.

--
Cordially,
Noufal