[BangPypers] What are you using for developing desktop GUIs?

Rushabh Mehta rmehta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 21:13:25 CEST 2013

Its 2013 and I think its interesting people still want to write desktop apps. If you are already highly skilled in desktop GUIs then it probably makes sense, but browser is definitely the most portable environment for the future. For *most* cases, its usually better that the app is web by default. There are so many open source libraries (widgets, charting engines, UI frameworks) to choose from, so many services to plug in (Maps, Analytics etc) that its a no brainer even for scientific applications. The canvas for the web is just a whole lot wider.

Deployment is still an issue, but thanks to broadband - VMs have become the easiest way to evaluate / deploy web apps.

On 28-Sep-2013, at 12:21 AM, bangpypers-request at python.org wrote:

> I guess YMMV but if a local app launches a web server and a browser to
> get things done, it's a deal breaker for me.

In this case starting a web server can be nothing more than executing a few
hundreds of lines of python code that just happens to talk http and wsgi.
It is more of a mental block than anything! I know because I had to fight
it too :) The user does not need to know or care.

Interacting with a browser tab is likely to be a bit more of a hurdle,
particularly if the user opens your app twice and ends up with two browser
tabs with your app, etc. It is certainly a possibility that some users will
feel a bit disoriented.