[BangPypers] "The Python I would like to see" - Armin Ronacher

chandrakant kumar k.03chandra at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 09:02:38 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:12 AM, Gora Mohanty <gora at mimirtech.com> wrote:

> On 18 August 2014 21:45, chandrakant kumar <k.03chandra at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Python 3 has been a disappointment.
>
> I am bemused by absolutist comments like this. Could you explain how
> exactly it was a disappointment for you in day-to-day work?
>
> Regards,
> Gora

Following are the problems i faced that made me revert back to Python 2.7 -

1. Lack of packages ported to Python 3, one of the main advantages of using
Python is a large set of ready to be used packages, so that you can build
something very quickly.

2. Performance is same if not less than that of Python 2.7.

If i have to rewrite my code, with limited 3rd party packages, resulting in
little or no performance gains, i would rather move to CLISP, at least the
performance gains would be worth it.

And, about the day-to-day work, i have a SAAS application built with Python
3, and the inconvenience it caused without the rewards, made me regret my
decision to move to Python 3.

It has more to do with the Python 3 ecosystem, rather than the language
itself. Python is much more than the language itself, almost any serious
Python application makes heavy use of 3rd party packages.

--
regards