[BangPypers] "The Python I would like to see" - Armin Ronacher

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Tue Aug 19 18:23:51 CEST 2014

On 19 August 2014 12:32, chandrakant kumar <k.03chandra at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Following are the problems i faced that made me revert back to Python 2.7 -
>
> 1. Lack of packages ported to Python 3, one of the main advantages of using
> Python is a large set of ready to be used packages, so that you can build
> something very quickly.

This is not a criticism of Python 3 per se.

> 2. Performance is same if not less than that of Python 2.7.

I have not been closely following this, but I did not think that
performance was a
criterion for Python 3. As I am sure that you are aware, projects like PyPi are
addressing this, but again I do not know that performance was ever touted as
a Python 3 feature.

> If i have to rewrite my code, with limited 3rd party packages, resulting in
> little or no performance gains, i would rather move to CLISP, at least the
> performance gains would be worth it.
>
> And, about the day-to-day work, i have a SAAS application built with Python
> 3, and the inconvenience it caused without the rewards, made me regret my
> decision to move to Python 3.
[...]

Why then did you decide to move to Python 3? Unlike, say major revisions to
PHP, most Python people that I have met are happy with 2.7, and there does
not seem to me a critical feature like, say improved security, that provides a
strong incentive to make the move. Not trying to show you up, but seriously
would like to know your rationale.

We have been itching to goto Python 3, but the deal-breaker for us was Django
not being ready. Now that Django does support Python 3, we did think again about
moving, but held off exactly because of what you mention: Lack of
Python 3 support
in several third-party apps that were critical for us.

Regards,
Gora