[BangPypers] List of n but same objects

Kulkarni, Shreyas shyran at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:44:27 CET 2014

When you call iter(x) it returns you a listiterator object. Every time you call iter(x) it *creates* a new listiterator and returns it back. The differences you are seeing in your cases are not because of how lists of list operators work, but because of how they are called.

In case-1, iter(x) gets called once, and the same returned object is used when you do '* 3' on the list.
In case-2, you are calling iter(x) three times, so naturally you get 3 different iterators - three different objects with different base addresses in memory.

Case-3 is how python typically works - when you do an assignment, python doesn't create a copy, but a reference. So when you say y = [x] * 3; y is essentially a list with 3 references to the same memory location pointed to by x. So when you update one value, all three refs point to the same location, and hence you are seeing what you are seeing.
If you want deep copy instead of shallow one with references, take a look at 'copy' module and copy.deepcopy method in particular.

shreyas