[BangPypers] Terrible choices: MySQL. What is the way ahead?

Noufal Ibrahim KV noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Tue Dec 30 15:02:58 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 30 2014, Okan bhan wrote:

[...]

> My major reason to continue will be no exposure to PostgreSQL. And
> after struggling so much with MySQL, if I use Postgre I will be in a
> domain of unknown again. Can anyone please point to articles comparing
> latest version of both or share their view for a db novice.

[...]

I can't offer anything normative but in my experience (and it's a little
dated since I don't use mySQL for anything these days), mySQL is a
disaster waiting to hit you.

If I had to recommend a path ahead, I'd suggest that you bite the bullet
now and make the technical and other investments necessary to migrate
from mySQL to postgres right away. It's a much more future proof
investment. If your budget and situation doesn't allow for that, atleast
make a plan to migrate and stop investing in mySQL for any of your work
from now.

--
Cordially,
Noufal