[BangPypers] Terrible choices: MySQL. What is the way ahead?

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Tue Dec 30 18:03:11 CET 2014

On 30 December 2014 at 19:32, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:
[...]
> I can't offer anything normative but in my experience (and it's a little
> dated since I don't use mySQL for anything these days), mySQL is a
> disaster waiting to hit you.

[...]

Personally, I agree with this, but such arguments often degenerate
into flamewars. IMHO, it comes down to a matter of knowing your tools,
and what use-cases they can meet. Sometimes, mysql can be what one
needs.

> If I had to recommend a path ahead, I'd suggest that you bite the bullet
> now and make the technical and other investments necessary to migrate
> from mySQL to postgres right away. It's a much more future proof
> investment. If your budget and situation doesn't allow for that, atleast
> make a plan to migrate and stop investing in mySQL for any of your work
> from now.

Agreed strongly. Unless one can make a very good case for it, I would
go with Postgresql. From what I am told, even if one has to use mysql,
one should look at MariaDB.

Regards,
Gora