[BangPypers] Terrible choices: MySQL. What is the way ahead?

kracekumar ramaraju kracethekingmaker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 21:21:33 CET 2014

On Dec 31, 2014 1:37 AM, "Noufal Ibrahim KV" <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30 2014, Gora Mohanty wrote:
>
> > On 30 December 2014 at 19:32, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:
> > [...]
> >> I can't offer anything normative but in my experience (and it's a
little
> >> dated since I don't use mySQL for anything these days), mySQL is a
> >> disaster waiting to hit you.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Personally, I agree with this, but such arguments often degenerate
> > into flamewars. IMHO, it comes down to a matter of knowing your tools,
> > and what use-cases they can meet. Sometimes, mysql can be what one
> > needs.
>
> [...]
>
> They're both RDBMs. Unless you have legacy stuff to support or are tied
> down to mySQL for any non tech. reason, I can't really think of how it
> would be what one needs.

For example, MySQL MyISAM is fast for read replica. Again MyISAM is
terrible choice for write.

Migrating from MySQL to postgres is really technical debt. Said that
postgres quirks very little and ahead of mysql in features. Lot of
companies cant migrate to postgres because incoming data is large.

Companies choose MySQL knowing lot of consulting companies are around like
percona, example quora.