[BangPypers] Python List Comprehension Question

Bhargav Kowshik bhargav.kowshik at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 17:34:39 CEST 2014

Nice! Thank you very much Anand.But, I still don't know what is happening.Please point me to a resource to understand what is happening.

** Program **

def flat_it(values, result=list()):
    for v in values:
        if isinstance(v, list):
            flat_it(v, result)
        else:
            result.append(v)
    return result

x = [[1, 2, [3, 7]], 4]

print('Input: {0}'.format(x))
print('Output 1: {0}'.format(flat_it(x)))
print('Output 2: {0}'.format(flat_it(x)))
print('Output 3: {0}'.format(flat_it(x, list())))

** Output **
Input: [[1, 2, [3, 7]], 4]
Output 1: [1, 2, 3, 7, 4]
Output 2: [1, 2, 3, 7, 4, 1, 2, 3, 7, 4]
Output 3: [1, 2, 3, 7, 4]

Thank you,
Bhargav.