[BangPypers] Python is still greek to india's top IT firms

sayantan bhattacharya skb655952 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 20:37:21 CEST 2014

Hello all,

I work at TCS and they didn't know about Python either. Now that I have
written a script that does the log monitoring easy for the Application
support guys, they have accepted the language. But there seems to be a
resistance among the people using Java to accept that Python is powerful
and capable enough to do the same task that Java does.

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Bibhas <me at bibhas.in> wrote:

> On 09/13/2014 01:27 PM, Asif Jamadar wrote:
>
>> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Indias-top-
>> IT-firms/articleshow/41535783.cms<http://timesofindia.
>> indiatimes.com/tech/jobs/Python-is-still-greek-to-Indias-top-IT-firms/
>> articleshow/41535783.cms>
>>
>> NEW DELHI: Recently, one of India's top software companies was faced with
>> quandary. It had won a $200 million (Rs 1,200 crore) contract to develop an
>> app store for a large US bank, but did not have adequate numbers of
>> programmers who could write code in Python, the language most suited for
>> the job. Eventually, it paid thrice the billing rate to a group of
>> freelance Python programmers in the US. And learned a valuable lesson about
>> the importance of a language named after the British television comedy
>> series Monty Python.
>>

> I'd like to know which company this `one of India's top software
> companies` is. Sounds like they don't network enough to find out the Python
> developers in India.
>

>> For a nation regarded as a software programming powerhouse, the episode
>> has salutary lessons. While skills in traditional computer languages meant
>> for stitching software applications and maintaining large mainframe
>> computers are a strength, ignoring Python could prove to be a costly
>> mistake.
>>
>> "Because companies like Infosys<http://economictimes.
>> indiatimes.com/infosys-technologies-ltd/stocks/companyid-10960.cms> and
>> TCS prefer proprietary languages like Java or dot NET most students think
>> of these as an option in college. That is the reason you don't get good
>> quality talent in the industry to work with us in Python," said Jofin
>> Joseph, cofounder and chief operating officer of Profoundis, a Kochi-based
>> technology startup which has been struggling for about a year to hire young
>> Python programmers.
>>

> Checked out the social network profiles of Profoundis, they are almost
> non-existent. They don't attend any events at all. I wonder how they are
> trying to hire Python programmers. That might tell us why they are
> struggling.
>

> Anyway, other points about big companies working with Java and as a result
> colleges teaching only those, is true. It's become a circle.

Sayantan Bhattacharya