[BangPypers] Return values

Noufal Ibrahim KV noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Sat Sep 20 11:04:49 CEST 2014

I've recently come across something that I'd like some comments on. It's
a stylistic issue so not something that there's an objective answer
for. Nevertheless.

I have a function that gets some statistics from some source and returns
it to the user as a Stats object. Let's call it get_stats. This has a
parameter `consolidate`. If consolidate is True, it will combine all the
statistics and return just one Stats object. If not, it will return a
list of Stats objects.

The problem now is that this function sometimes returns a single thing
and some times a list. I don't like this since I have to alter my
calling code to handle this.

I'm surprised that I've never hit this before and I'm not really sure
how to handle it.

Comments?

--
Cordially,