[BangPypers] Online communication channel

kracekumar ramaraju kracethekingmaker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 19:39:36 CEST 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Indradhanush Gupta <
indradhanush.gupta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Slack is good no doubt. But I just don't believe its the right tool for a
> community. Especially because, it wont be long before we hit the 10000
> message limit and the 5 free integrations limit.

Slack has real time messaging api . I hope it must be easy to archive the
messages for later use.
Probably there is a tool for that. Here is one such for Mac [1]. I haven't
used it, so can't comment.

Also, the fact that slack channels are unmoderated goes against its defence
> for community driven initiatives.
>
> I'd recommend to go with an IRC channel. It will be moderated, easy to log
> and preserve history and always free. Regarding integrations, if there
> really is a pressing need for one, I believe the community will get
> together to build one for itself.

Biggest problem with IRC is to on board new comers. The learning curve is
steep for normal tech users.
It only makes life for already acquainted users easier not for new comers.
It hardly takes 5-15 minutes get new person to get used to slack whereas
that is not case with IRC.

AFAIK moderated channels are good for remote classes.

[1]: https://github.com/tylerhall/AlfredSlackSearch