[BangPypers] How to manage Database for Django on live server?

kracekumar ramaraju kracethekingmaker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:55:18 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Mukesh Yadav <mak.gnu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I recently moved my office one of the app to Django. Now its time for
> this to go live. While development we faced many problems in terms of
> conflicts in migrations file of Django. Due to this I'm not confident that
> django should take control of database (migrate and makemigrations command)
> on live server.
>
> My Question is how you guys handle database and data's integrity. Do you
> guys
> change the Schema manually or you just migrate/syncdb.
> Have you faced any issues?
>
> Please give your input.

Use in built in migrations since it can produce change scripts in python or
sql. There will be difference in migration scripts produced by django and
manual one.

For example: On adding a new column django migration will ask for default
value in mysql also, though alter column in mysql assumes null by
default(MySQL quirk).
It is better to use a tool to generate migrations.

--
> Regards
> Mukesh Yadav
> mukeshyadav.com

*Thanks & Regardskracekumar"Talk is cheap, show me the code" -- Linus
Torvaldshttp://kracekumar.com <http://kracekumar.com>*