[BangPypers] Anyone who has worked on Lamson?

Noufal Ibrahim KV noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Wed May 27 14:39:41 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 27 2015, Ramdas S wrote:

> Noufal,
>
> I want to use this for setting up an interim SMTP server which based
> on certain rules should decide whether the mails need to go through
> the normal corporate server, or should go through an alternate SMTP
> server. This is primarily to reduce outbound spam as a result of some
> marketing campaigns running on side.

You want to use lamson to send emails? I've used it to receive and
process emails programmatically based on header fields. I don't think
it's a particularly good candidate to handle sending. Configuring a
normal SMTP server properly would be better. I think most of them have
ways of defining rules based on various fields to select where the next
hop is. That sounds like what you want.

> Is this an application for which you can use Lamson, the docs and
> other stuff is very confusing.

I don't think think so.

> tldr; 1)create a middleman SMTP gateway which captures the mail 2)
> parses it and 3) then decides what to do with it.
>
> The 2nd and 3rd part can be done easily with existing known libraries,
> is Lamson recommended to do the first job or is there anything better?

Unless you need to do something other than some simple rule matching
based on fields in the incoming mail and forwarding, I wouldn't use
lamson.

[...]

--
Cordially,