[BangPypers] Python 2.x Vs 3 & Books - Frequently Asked Question but on latest context

Harsh Gupta gupta.harsh96 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:13:18 EDT 2016

Many of the scientific libraries including Ipython have declared that
they will drop support for Python 3 by 2020, Nikola the statics
blogging library will be dropping Python 2 support in their next major
release [2]. Personally I feel Python 3 is a cleaner language as it
prevents variables leaking out of scope, you should check out Aaron
Meurer's slides on Python 3 [3]. Unfortunately there have been many
instances where I had to use python 2 just because a library didn't
support it. I recommend and learning and python 3 and switching to
python 2 when necessary, for me conda environments work like a charm
when switching between two. In python 3 books I feel Allen Downey's
book "Think Python" is good
http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/.

[1]: https://python3statement.github.io/
[2]: https://getnikola.com/blog/env-survey-results-and-the-future-of-python-27.html
[3]: https://asmeurer.github.io/python3-presentation/slides.html#1

On 4 August 2016 at 22:16, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:

> I think Python 3 has arrived. There are a few libraries that are not
> ported and there's legacy code which you might have to work on but apart
> from that, 3 is the way to go.
>
> Learn Python the Hard way is a good book to start with and the HTML
> version is available online.
>
> --
> Cordially,
> Noufal