[BangPypers] Query regarding packages in PyPI.

Rajvi Dhimar rajvidhimar95 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 09:23:15 EDT 2017

Hello experts,

I am trying to get certain packages from pypi onto a network device. On the
device I cannot do a 'pip install'.
I need to write a shell scripy to fetch the package (using curl or fetch
command) from PyPI on to my network device.

Earlier, the packages were located at
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source. Suppose I want the tar of v1.0.0
of package abc,
I could do it via the following command:
     *fetch https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/A/abc/abc-1.0.0
<https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/A/abc/abc-1.0.0>.tar.gz*

Now I see that the packages are present at: *https://pypi.python.org/simple/
<https://pypi.python.org/simple/>.*
Eg: All the abc packages would be at *https://pypi.python.org/simple/abc
<https://pypi.python.org/simple/abc>*
But a specific package link looks something like:

*
https://pypi.python.org/packages/33/db/9931c645626f9bf77ecddb7e7d5df90a3b6c4/abc-1.0.0.tar.gz
<https://pypi.python.org/packages/33/db/9931c645626f9bf77ecddb7e7d5df90a3b6c4/abc-1.0.0.tar.gz>*

The link as we see, won't be uniform across packages as there is a dynamic
database ID kind of thing in the link.
Beacuse I am trying to download a huge number of packages via the same
shell script, I need a generic path where
the packages are in PyPI. Does anyone know, where the PyPI packages are
hosted?

Thanks,
Rajvi Dhimar