[BangPypers] Improving meetup attendance

Abraham Varricatt abraham.varricatt at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:12:18 EDT 2017

Hello,

I think the previous poster might be missing a point about organization.
The need to charge money BEFORE attending the event is to give the
organizers a realistic count of how many people might be attending. There
is a difference between paying Rs100/- today to pay for an event I might
attend next week and paying Rs100/- when I arrive for the event.

If as an organizer I see the following,

200 people paid Rs100/- to attend next week's event

OR

300 people promise to pay Rs100/- to attend next week's event

the former is MUCH more useful than the latter. Besides, the latter is the
exact problem we have right now - people promising to come, but not showing
up.

The refundable idea is worth considering, but a likely logistics nightmare.
Assume that everyone is charged Rs100/- for the event. We need to do the
payment online - meetup.com or paypal or whoever is chosen as the payment
gateway will charge Rs10 as fees (amount randomly chosen). The organizers
might, in good faith, promise to return Rs90/- to everyone who comes.

What do they do about people who try to receive the Rs90/- twice? Or
thrice? You cannot deny that folks won't try to scam the organizers. Even
worse - what about repaying for people who did not come to this month's
event, but pay and come for next month's event? Do we pay them Rs180/- ?

I _like_ the refundable idea, but it is a logistics nightmare. And for a
non-profit event, not worth the trouble for our dear organizers, IMO.

Here's my suggestion:

Charge everyone Rs50/- or Rs100/- to attend per person. To ensure that this
remains a non-profit event, donate the proceeds to some Python-related
charity or education for computer science. I think it will be nice to
attend a Python event and either at the beginning or end of the event, to
hear the organizer say something like "We collected Rs850/- from everyone
for this event and it will be gifted to ABC charity supporting Python
education in India" (You can collect and store receipts to show anyone who
asks if you actually paid the money).

Or just use the money for snacks and stickers as someone suggested!

To those worried about profiteering,

Please consider that the organizers are only suggesting Rs100 per person
for the meetup. That is around the cost of a day pass to travel by bus in
Bengaluru. This is VERY cheap compared to something like a conference
ticket being held in a fancy hotel for more than Rs1000/-.

To organizers,

I'll support the idea to charge for participants, but you need to
accommodate people who do not have access to internet banking or credit
cards (took me a long time to convince HDFC to issue me a credit card, but
that's a personal matter) - like students or young developers. Give them
the option (at your discretion) to pay cash at the door. Perhaps allow
up-to 15 people to pay in cash on a first-come-first-serve basis?

Yours sincerely,
Abraham V.
(Python lover and one-time speaker at a Bangpy meetup)