[BangPypers] [Commercial][Job] OpenCraft is hiring senior open source developers

L. Guruprasad lgp171188 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 04:39:42 EDT 2021

Hi all,

OpenCraft (https://opencraft.com) is looking to hire senior open source
developers.

About OpenCraft:

**Open-source and open first**

We are a team of veteran open-source developers, working on educational
and community-based projects in an open-first environment – and we are
looking for new members. By joining us, you will work full-time on
open-source, pushing your changes to free software projects upstream
through pull requests, contributing features, documentation, or help on
public forums.

We care deeply about contributing our work upstream. You will see the
results of your work reused and recognized across the educational
community, increasing access to quality education for everyone, everywhere.

OpenCraft runs on the open first principle. Most of our conversations,
code, and policies are publicly viewable.

Our handbook, like much of our work, is publicly viewable and you can
find it at https://handbook.opencraft.com/.

You can also visit our forums at https://forum.opencraft.com/.

**Remote-first**

Unlike companies who reluctantly started to accept remote workers
recently, we have embraced it from day 1. For the past 7 years, we have
based and refined our way of working around remote-friendly workflows,
from the ground up. No day-long video meetings, mandatory work hours, or
risk of being forced back into an office one day -- as long as you have
a good internet connection, it’s none of our business when or where you
work from.

We are all working remotely, from all continents (except Antarctica, at
least so far - applicants welcome!). We use remote-friendly and
timezone-agnostic workflows based on asynchronous principles and good
documentation practices.

**Online education**

We are one of the main contributors to the Open edX project, the main
open-source MOOC platform created by MIT, Harvard and many other top
universities. It powers sites like edX.org, the MIT Open Learning
Library, and the national online learning platform for France. We
provide development and hosting for institutions like Harvard Medical
School, Harvard LabXchange, Cloudera, Autodesk, and several governments.
We are not affiliated with edX.org, but we contribute and work with them
on various projects.

**Technical stack**

The Open edX project is a large Python/Django codebase, with good code
standards and architecture. Tasks are varied, from developing core
platform features, custom exercises and tools for specific courses
(XBlocks), customizing and deploying instances, working full-stack,
operating our service infrastructure, improving our hosting platform,
etc. You won't get bored here.

We welcome applicants of all genders and ethnicities.

Basic Requirements:

- Experience with contributing to free software projects - small
contributions are completely fine, but you must have at least one patch
or pull request merged in a third-party project, or been a maintainer of
an open source project with significant adoption. (Note that you can
contribute now to satisfy this requirement - see for example the Open
edX release issues, fixing one of these issues guarantees an interview.)
- Senior developer with 3+ years working with Python
- Experience with Python web frameworks, specifically Django
- 3+ years of HTML, Javascript, and CSS (experience with React and/or
Typescript is a big plus!)
- Experience with unit testing
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment, specifically Debian or Ubuntu
- Experience with databases: MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL

Additional Skills:

You will work on tasks from the following categories, but you can pick
up the skills on the job if you haven't mastered these yet:
- DevOps experience, especially on Debian/Ubuntu servers, Terraform,
Vault, Packer, Prometheus, ELK, Docker. We are building a modern
infrastructure and having a strong DevOps presence on top of core
software engineering skills is a big plus with us.
- Cloud computing, like AWS or OpenStack
- Configuration management tools such as Ansible, Consul
- RabbitMQ, Redis & Elasticsearch
- Mobile development (iOS and/or Android)
- Managing clients & projects from beginning to completion (senior
developer)
- Public speaking at conferences (you would present a talk every year at
the Open edX Con)

Visit https://opencraft.com/jobs/open-source-developer/ for more details
and to apply for the job.

Thanks & Regards,