[Baypiggies] Official Language War Thread? - Rails vs.Turbogears.

Jimmy Retzlaff jimmy at retzlaff.com
Thu Dec 1 21:12:50 CET 2005

Alex Martelli wrote:
> On 12/1/05, Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre at deirdre.net> wrote:
> > One of the examples from the above chapter:
> >
> >      ['toast', 'cheese', 'wine'].each { |food| print food.capitalize
}

> Sure, but the Python style of coding this:
>
> for food in 'toast','cheese','wine': print food.capitalize()

That's exactly the kind of thing that makes Python my language of
choice... so many constructs allow you to simply read the text and the
English meaning is very close to what you are trying to do. In the above
example, it would be nice if "capitalize" were "capitalized" and there
could be an "each" dropped in there, but it's close enough to English
that nitpicking about grammar is all that remains. This has always been
my hang-up with Smalltalk and now Ruby, the Ruby version reads like a
robot in an old science fiction movie. But it's clear that many people
prefer to think of the constructs as they are presented in Ruby rather
than the English.

I think both of these languages are good enough that it comes down to
which one fits your way of thinking better so that you can spend more
time thinking about the problem domain rather than the language - for me
that's certainly Python.

Jimmy