[Baypiggies] Baypiggies website?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Nov 29 03:04:10 CET 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Wow. I had no idea. Has anyone spoken to Deirdre about this? I'm
> not sure what the point is of killing a user group's main point of
> contact (feeble as it is) due to a lack of standards. All I can
> say is I'm glad she's not in charge of python.org. While I see
> standard compliance as a useful goal I don't see the point of such
> draconian measures in a purely volunteer-run group -- even if (as
> Deirdre has indicated) you're no longer interested in the group's
> activities.  Apart from the website management the group seems to be
> fully functional -- we have monthly meetings visited by 20-50 people.

The mailing list has always been the group's main point of contact, so
that was my first priority.  Deirdre has been suddenly dumped into a
situation where she cannot provide the necessary sysadmin bandwidth for
keeping BayPIGgies up on her personal machine; we were already talking
about moving the site before the web standards issue came up.

The web standards issue is really a red herring.  I would say that it was
in the grand scheme of things a minor problem that became the straw that
broke the camel's back.

Not to pick on you, Guido, or anyone else, but we already making progress
toward getting everything fixed, it's simply a matter of time and trying
to keep things orderly.  Talking about it on-list will not speed things
appreciably.

until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair