[Baypiggies] April agenda?

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Fri Apr 7 08:17:36 CEST 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> > By the way, I wrote an exhaustive summary of the book "Professional
> > Software Development"
> > <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321193679/002-8332939-1557638?v=glance&n=283155>
> > because I thought it was interesting.  If people are interested, I
> > could give it as a talk and answer questions from the point of view of
> > the author.  Alternatively, I could just blog it and save meeting time
> > for something more Pythonic.

I think the concept of "Professional Software Development" is germane
to Python.  One of the great things about teaching Python is that good
engineering concepts fall right out of it, almost for free.  So it
would be interesting to me to try to relate Python with whatever the
book has to say.

I hope the book doesn't equate productivity to the number lines of
code!  What an unproductive concept.  It's sort of a pet peeve of
mine.  Yesterday I trimmed out about 40 lines of code and improved
readability and made my test interface more consistent.  What a
productive day that was!

But I see that the program for next week is already posted, even
though nothing seemed to really gel here!

I think that figuring out the next talk, and the next, is a lot of
pressure on someone.

How can we fix that?

Marilyn