[Baypiggies] April agenda?

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Sat Apr 8 03:25:09 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Danny Yoo wrote:

> > OK then.  Let's do it!  Does anyone think it's a bad idea?  Speak up
> > now.
> >
> > So, what's the process?
> >
> > 1.  Set a date for a few months in advance.
> >
> > 2.  Decide who will be the panelists.  How many from each language?
> >
> > 3.  Invite the local Ruby and Perl Users' Groups.
> >
> > 4.  Invent a list of common tasks and idioms to use as
> > discussion-starters?
>

> Hi Marilyn,
>
> Would this be something, though, that could be handled in a mailing list
> setting?  Not that I don't like personal human-to-human contact, mind you.
> *grin* But I haven't heard anything here that wouldn't preclude some
> pre-discussion on a mailing list.

Well, yeh.  I guess that's the problem we're having.  For any learning
experience, many of us would save a lot of time and gas by just
googling and studying at our desks.  And there are some great python
lists for asking questions from experts.  There's no reason to confine
ourselves to experts in the Bay Area when we need an answer.

The internet environment is so good, so efficient, so useful.

But we're trying to find fun and interesting things to do together,
face-to-face.  We're looking for excuses to rub elbows.

Or is face-to-face obsolete?  Maybe we should be asking ourselves
that.

> Unfortunately, I probably won't be in the area when this all happens, and
> I'm still a budding PLT Scheme newbie, but if I could contribute something
> from the PLT Scheme point of view, I'd be happy to offer that perspective.
> (It would probably help motivate me to learn the system more thoroughly,
> too.  *grin*)  So some kind of remote participation in this would be nice.

I see. Well, that would be a different activity, an online language
debate?  Gee, that sounds like a useful thing, maybe an updated
version of the old "hello world" site concept.

How do you imagine that playing out?  Is there a web tool that suits
itself to such an activity?  Can we ply that into a wiki or something?

But, what about face-to-face?

Marilyn