[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies name [was: April agenda?]

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Sat Apr 8 23:07:10 CEST 2006

At 01:16 PM 4/8/2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:

>Also, I'm assuming that, to change the name, we only have to ask
>python.org to change the name of the list and beg for some
>new_name.python.org web space?

What do you do with the baypiggies.net domain name, the 257 links to it,
and the page rank of 5 it already enjoys?  IMO, you need to register the
domain name for whatever the "new" name is.

>Or can someone please tell us what we are taking on here?

I think this is poking at a tar baby: we will get stuck fixing what is not
really broken.  IMO, it is way more important *being* an important
organization rather than *sounding* like an important organization.

A recent posting from ACCU here listed their upcoming talks:

         Guido van Rossum  Apr. 5   A Look At Python's Future
        Greg Stein        Jun 14   Python at Google

Uhhh... Why aren't these talks being given to BayPiggies?  What are the
important things we can do to improve our program and meetings?  Name
change does not even register.

Bluntly, I think taking on a name change is the wrong problem, a waste of
time.  The right problem: upgrading our meetings.

Dennis