[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies name [was: April agenda?]

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 9 02:33:28 CEST 2006

Hi Aahz,

>From: Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com>

The member survey will not include a poll on the name, for reasons of
timeliness.
Also I am happy to let others moderate the issue.

Four comments on this ongoing discussion on group name:
1) I agree with Dennis that this is definitely not the most important issue
and maybe we can table it for future resolution (June?)
2) you will get three different results and constituencies if you ask the
same question on the list, at an Ironport meeting or at a Google meeting.
3) almost noone understands whether our group has a charter and what the
decision-making process for such fundamental decisions is.
4) to a considerable extent, the naming options depend on the
(evolving) geographical identity of the group (SF? SV? Bay? South Bay?
unstated?),
and this is something we do not currently understand and should get
a lot more insight into from the survey (e.g. for example, is there
a subgroup of people who want to split off a EB/NB group meeting
in (say) Oakland/Berkeley/Fremont/? in an alternate week of the month?)

>On a separate note, I think that any voting mechanism must have as few
>barriers as possible.  The survey that Stephen is setting up requires
>cookies and JavaScript; that is not acceptable for a vote on the group
>name.

The survey will *not* require cookies and JS (if you don't do it via
SurveyMonkey),
since I am volunteering to provide all 332 members with multiple
alternatives
(email or paper) at my own extra labor and inconvenience. We already
verified it
works with IE, Netscape/Mozilla + Firefox; but not Lynx (no JS support).
I mailed you the instructions already and it will be announced list-wide
tomorrow (04/09).
I think this setup accomodates as many people as I humanly can manage.
For any 2007 survey we can discuss improvements.

Best regards,
Stephen