[Baypiggies] Explaining Alternate meeting locations

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 9 10:08:47 CEST 2006

Hi,

I think this request goes to Aahz, or others:
I have two separate requests below. They essentially relate to improving the
clarity in explaining our alternating split meeting locations.
I *know* this is assumed knowledge to most active members (me included), so
no flames.
However as you know many of the 332 list members attend irregularly or even
are not Bay Area residents. Quite a few people have told me they never
attend Ironport as they do not know where it is and which months the meeting
is on.
Marilyn D and me were looking at the www.baypiggies.net page today and we
agreed it could definitely be clarified.
(I do see that Aahz's recent email announce was a model of clarity:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2006-March/000241.html )

Anyway my suggestions for the webpage:

1) On the www.baypiggies.net pages:
1a) Please restate "Meeting Locations" explicitly as "Meeting Locations
Alternate between the following Two Locations".

1b) In the "Meeting Locations" section, please include the city name up
front and in boldface, as follows:
IronPort (San Bruno, CA):
Google (Mtn View, CA):

1c) Please add Location as the 2nd line in the "Upcoming Meetings" listing
"Date, *Location*, Agenda, Level, Speaker, About the talk".
This is crucial since it then makes the listing self-contained, so that it
still makes sense e.g. when emailed.

2) I found instances on the web which still cheerfully say:
"BayPIGgies... Meeting Location: Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA" !!
http://www.computeruser.com/resources/usergroups/usanc.html
Could some volunteer do the legwork with Google search + email to track down
the stale references and get them replaced with:
"BayPIGgies... Alternating Monthly Meeting Locations: between Ironport(San
Bruno) and Google(Mtn View) CA"

Let me know what you think,
Stephen