[Baypiggies] Python and progress

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Apr 9 17:56:56 CEST 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Aahz wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> From my point of view, the thing about Python that is revolutionary
>>> and profoundly correct is that backward-compatibility is a
>>> second-class priority.
>>
>> Huh.  There are many many people who would disagree with that assertion,
>> including me.  Backwards compatibility is so important that the dev
>> community often resists changes -- and the big point of the Py3K effort
>> is to provide an opportunity to break backward compability.  Python
>> makes it simple and straightforward to write a script that will work with
>> both 1.5.2 and 2.5.  Moreover, Python makes it easy to connect to legacy
>> libraries written in C and other languages.
>
> Oh yes, backward compatibility is very important but:
>
> from __future__ import division
>
> is the thing that makes me think that the top priority is the human
> experience: programmer, teacher, student.

Yes, but you have to explicitly request that breakage in 2.x; it will
only become the default in 3.0 when breaking backward compatibility is
allowed.  Not only that, in 2.x you have to break backward compatibility
one module at a time.

Python has always added new features that aren't available in earlier
releases; the point is that there is little gratuitous change that
prevents scripts written for older releases from running.

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet