[Baypiggies] Web site changes

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Sun Apr 9 20:22:24 CEST 2006

At 7:22 AM -0700 4/9/06, Aahz wrote:
> Heh.  I guess that's proof of how difficult it is to get
> "2nd Thurs" right: it should be April 13.

Maintaining the date information for upcoming meetings is
both a nuisance and a source of error (I've botched this
more than once, myself).  So, when I set up the web page
for BASS (http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/bass), I decided to get
rid of the problem, programmatically.

The page is generated, on the fly, by a set of PHP scripts.
The code examines the current date, then calculates the
date for the upcoming meeting.

While I was at it, I set up boilerplate files to contain
the introduction and venue information.  The result of all
this is a tiny file that I only need to edit when the venue
changes or some special text needs to be added:

% cat more index.php
<?
  $name  =  $_SERVER[SCRIPT_NAME];
  $intro =  (ereg('indexX', $name)) ? '__introX' : '__intro';
  include $intro;

  dt(dse(4, 3), '8:00 pm');  # 4th Wednesday

  include '_Wild_Pepper';
?>

BTW, the $intro magic allows me to play with the introductory
text (in introX) via introX.html, while keeping intro.html
functional.  If anyone wants more details, please contact me
off-list.

We now return you to your regular programming...

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com