[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies name [was: April agenda?]

Ross Parlette ross at pcnt.com
Tue Apr 11 01:23:31 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre at deirdre.net>
To: Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com>
Cc: baypiggies at python.org
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:07:31 -0700
Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] BayPIGgies name [was: April agenda?]

> About ACCU, iirc, that's the first time Guido spoke there. He's
> spoken at BayPIGgies several times, starting in 1999. ACCU, while
> focused on C/C++, does have interesting talks about other languages
> from time to time.

At the last ACCU meeting (I vas dere, Chahlie), there were some intro slides
(OK, that's an anachronism), in which it was specifically stated that C and
C++ were no longer the primary focus. Like many groups, I expect that they
are also trying to see "what sells." From the past Python oriented meetings
they have had, cleary Python is one of those things. btw, they are a paying
membership org, although the meetings are manifestly (and permanently) free,
as is the meeting announcement mailing list.

IIRC, a year or so ago, I attended a previous meeting at which Alex Martelli
spoke and I bought a copy of his revised book. My memory of details is
fading, but it was at a Denny's on North First in SJ, so it wasn't likely a
BP meeting. Alex acknowledged that he was blown away by the size of the
group.

Ross