[Baypiggies] Voting for a new name

Jon Rosen jon at coral8.com
Thu Apr 13 02:06:39 CEST 2006

I haven't posted much to this group, but this thread motivated me to do
so.  I have been using Python for about a year, and I have attended
three user group meetings.  I think the name issue is a red herring. The
problems I have had with the meetings are the relative disorganization
that has struck me as not very useful for a newcomer.

The scheduled talks at the meetings I attended were more or less
content-free (although there was an impromptu talk that was given at the
Google meeting several months back on eggs and easy_install that was
superb and well worth attending despite all the other issues I had with
the meeting).  Things that are relatively common at other user groups
(like introductions of new attendees, introductions of the "organizers"
and "important people" like Guido, open discussion Q&A, active "birds of
a feather" groups, etc.) are completely absent at least at the meetings
I have attended.  I think that responsibility lies with the organizers.
I understand the current organizers may have outside issues, and if that
is the case, maybe there needs to be an infusion of new blood.

I voted to keep the name as is.  I do hope the format of the meetings
and structure of the group becomes, not necessarily more "professional"
but certainly more "organized".

Jon