[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies name [was: April agenda?]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 13 03:34:30 CEST 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Rich Morin wrote:

> I think it's a bit more important than that.  Let's say that I've given
> a talk on Modular Wombats for the local Python group.  If my resume
> needs filler (after 35 years in the field, this is NOT my problem :), I
> might want to list this appearance.  Do I want to put in the following:
>
>  Presentations
>
>    The Care and Feeding of Modular Wombats
>    BayPIGgies, April 1, 2006
>
> I think not.

Oh.  *runs to rapidly revise resume*

In seriousness: when I'm mentioning BayPIGgies in official documentation,
I've gone out of my way to spell it out as:

     Bay Area Python Interest Group (BayPIGgies)

because it seems nice to spell out acronyms, and because it isn't obvious
at all that BayPIGgies is a programmer user group just from reading the
acronym.  (Plus I thought that it was good English writing style to spell
out acronyms when they're first introduced.)

I'm not convinced at all that the use of BayPIGgies as the group's acronym
is a mark of shame on a resume.  I'm not a hiring manager, but I'd
personally be impressed that someone goes to a user group in the first
place, because that's usually a good indicator that they take their craft
sincerely and seriously.

If we cared about appearances, and thought that we needed a few good
resume-boosting keywords in there, I propose "Google-Ironport Python Bay
Area Group" (GIPBAG) just to get a few good keywords in there...

But even though this thread is fun, I hope it ends soon; I want to talk
about programming and concentrate on real values, and not variable names.