[Baypiggies] A call of truce on the naming issue

Tung Wai Yip tungwaiyip at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 18:54:52 CEST 2006

I propose we put the name change issue to rest for now and re-prioritize
it as a mid-term issue, perhaps to be revisited in the year end time
frame. The immediate issue should be studying the survey result, finding
volunteers to better organize the meeting and maintain the website, and
take other constructive ideas on improving the meeting. After this is on
track we can consider making name suggestions, get endorsements and build
a consensus.

Despite some claim I don't belive a name change right away is an eminent
issue. If half of the group want a name change now and half of the group
feel this is being forced upon them, it would create a rift that make it
whole lot more difficult to address the organizational issue we have right
now.

I'm fine with the current name, but I'm not oppose to picking a different
name either. What I don't want to see is this becoming an emotional and
divisive issue.

If we decide to change the name, it should be done in a constructive
manner. Much like the new web design of python.org it should be seen as a
face-lift by most rather than that the old design as a liability that
should be ashame of.

I believe the discussions we have recently would present us an opportunity
to get better organized. It should not be turned into a crisis.

Wai Yip