[Baypiggies] Mapping/Random Access at tonight's meeting

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Thu Apr 13 20:37:50 CEST 2006

At tonight's meeting, the agendas distributed on this mailing list propose
a mapping/random access session starting at 8:30 as an upgrade for our
current "announcements".

During mapping, audience members would stand and describe brief pointers to
interesting information such as

	new programming frameworks and tools
	job openings
	new books
	meetings and upcoming events
	etc.

Brevity is the spoken length of a Google Ad, a classified listing, or about
30 seconds.  What is said consists of "headlines", not the articles
themselves.  Discussion and elaboration are discouraged during
mapping.  The purpose of mapping is to allow everyone to know who has
interesting information.

At the conclusion of mapping, random access commences.  Most people end up
leaving their seats and end up talking with whomever interests them
(including the speaker for the evening).  Random access is a good time to
personally convey any handouts which were brought.  Insofar as there is no
official "janitor" office, anyone bringing handouts, please take
responsibility to remove any not taken away by audience.

I am looking for comments here in advance so there is a meeting of the
minds going in.