[Baypiggies] Voting for a new name

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Apr 14 02:00:26 CEST 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Danny Yoo wrote:

> I think the point that we should take from all of this is: some
> people don't like certain names.

Some people don't like snakes either. That's fine. However, by
analogy, trying to get other people to stomp out snakes because of
one's own bad experience goes beyond illogic -- which was my point in
my post to Marilyn.

It also seems a lot of arguments about the name (aside from just not
liking it) center around political correctness.

And that brings up the question of "political correctness for what
purpose?" ... which could only really be answered after any possible
organizational changes are determined.

It's pretty clear that different people have different end goals in
mind, which is fine, but no single organization will meet everyone's
ideal vision -- nor will any single name.

Different organizational goals would suggest different names, thus
choosing the name before sorting out the organizational goal seems
backwards.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net