[Baypiggies] IDE demos

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Sun Apr 16 19:33:44 CEST 2006

>Do you want me to lead the random access part too?

I would like to hang on to conducting mapping/random access or at least
make it a distinct duty.  In this way, there is continuity in the
expectations we have for this segment ... and a contact for inevitable
improvement suggestions.

>I can motivate collaborate with the other presenters to work out how
>we will handle it.

Good.  I makes sense to me that you be the technical moderator for this event.

>I can start the meeting on time.

It gets better and better :-).

>How much time do we get?

That is an IronPort night, so the prototype schedule would be

         7:30 - 8:45 Event Program
        8:45 - 9:00 Mapping/Random Access

You would get 75 minutes.

>I'm hoping for July at Google.  Is this possible?

Hmmm... I missed this before.  My other comments were based on June at
IronPort.  As far as I know June and July are both open at this point.  Do
you still want July at Google?  Let's nail the date down.

>Is there anything else that needs doing?

Yes.  This is an incomplete list based on what I know/can guess

1) You may need to arrange physical setup and especially audio-visual with
speakers and JJ.
2) I think we could benefit from an improved publicity process.  Look at
the existing http://baypiggies.net web page.  Here is what is posted:

    Thursday, April 13, 2006
    Agenda: Book review and newbie questions
    Location: IronPort
    Level: all
    Speaker(s): JJ (Shannon Behrens)
    About the talk
    JJ will review "Professional Software Development"
         with discussion and newbiew questions afterward.

This description needs to answer the question "Why would I want to drive or
travel xx miles on a (rainy) night to attend this?".  It also needs to
answer other questions but unless the "why" question is answered the other
questions are irrelevant.

In the IEEE Computer Society (pre-WWW), we had a paragraph on the speaker
and a paragraph on the talk itself.  In Dennis Allison's excellent
http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/ seminar series, speaker names,
affiliations, and talk titles are listed in a clickable format linking to a
speaker-provided description.  I suggest we move to the Stanford Model.

As a meeting organizer, I would ask that you pull together a one-page
summary using the Stanford seminar clickable links for each talk as a
model.  I think the URL should be frozen with at least initial content
ideally 2 weeks prior and certainly 1 week prior to the meeting.