[Baypiggies] Meeting locations

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Tue Apr 18 00:15:39 CEST 2006

>  *and*, as Aahz has already mentioned,
>the san bruno location has awesome public transit access (CalTrain,
>BART, SamTrans), etc.

Let's have a show of hands here.  How many people attending the last
meeting actually used the "awesome" public transit?  South bay public
transit is not awesome and I drove alone for 60 miles round trip.  This is
about 55 miles more than a trip to Google for me.  The "awesome" public
transit is not showing up in "awesome" San Bruno attendance.

It is not at all clear that the San Bruno location is more environment
friendly in practice, if that is where the public transit argument is
going.  For me personally, San Bruno is producing over 10x gasoline
byproducts than the Google location for each meeting I attend.

My estimate is that 45 Google attendees and 15 IronPort attendees consider
the gap between San Bruno and Mountain View too far to travel, so they
basically don't.  A core of about 15 then travel to both locations.  On my
numbers (60 miles distant vs. 6 miles local), those 15 travelers have a 10x
environment impact over "local attendees" every other month.

I intuit we could more than halve our environmental impact by consolidating
where our population base appears centered approximately 3 to 1 (estimated
based on observed meeting attendance): Google.