[Baypiggies] Embedded python SBC?

Todd Valentic todd.valentic at sri.com
Tue Jan 10 23:28:42 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 13:45 -0800, Ken Seehof wrote:
> I'm looking for a SBC (single board computer) capable of running
> embedded Linux and Python programs (for http processing and hardware
> control).
>
> Under $200/unit
> Ethernet
> About a dozen TTL digital I/O lines
> Speed is irrelevant, low power preferred
> Small form factor preferred

I've had a lot of fun playing with the gumstix (www.gumstix.com) boards.
They are literally the size of a stick of gum and can be mated to a
variety of add on boards for I/O and networking. They run a version of
linux built around the busybox/uClibc toolchain (which is pretty common
in the embedded space). Great support and community involvement.
Although they are commercial products, it almost feels like an open
source project. I helped to get the Python port running on them. It runs
reasonably well (and it should - the base hardware is a 400MHz ARM
processor with 64MB of RAM).

Todd