[Baypiggies] BayPIGgies: January 12, 7:30pm (Google)

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Tue Jan 17 02:54:23 CET 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Danny Yoo wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:
>
> > Thank you again for the opportunity to air my sales-pitch, and for
> > excellent feedback.
> >
> > As a result of the feedback, I am rethinking the part about language
> > comparisons and the second code example: the sysadmin script.
>

> Hi Marilyn,
>
> I'm sorry I wasn't able to go to your talk!  Does anyone have a review or
> notes on what Mariyn talked about?

Danny,

I made a list of the attributes of a good program and then tried to
discuss each attribute, ending with 'Programmer Friendly', the most
important.

I showed some graphs and charts I found on the web.  This part didn't
work so well and needs re-thinking.

When we got to Programmer Friendly, I broke into looking at code.  The
first was a program for translating pig latin, which shows a lot of
cool syntax.

I used that program to show some introspection features.

Next I picked out two characteristics of "pythonic thinking" to teach:
1) bear in mind the difference between assignment and reference.  2)
think in namespaces.

Then came a sysadmin example that showed importing, a try/except, some
calls to manipulate the file system. I'll either cut this part, or
just show snippets.  Or maybe the snippets could become part of the
code comparisons I wish I'd find.

Then I taught object-oriented programming in 17 words: "A class is a
blueprint for a namespace; An object is a namespace constructed from
the blueprint".

Then came an example of a class definition, with unit testing.

Finally came a series of programmer quotes and where-Python-is-used
slides.  Those would have been really nice if my monitor didn't have
an attack of green.  I feel I should to do something entertaining at
the end because it's peoples' lunchtime.

I'm grateful for any thoughts, or pointers to any interesting studies
to report on.  I feel I've been googling in circles.

Marilyn