[Baypiggies] AJAX for Python

Ben Bangert ben at groovie.org
Thu Jan 19 16:31:50 CET 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 2:16 AM, Keith Dart wrote:

> I have been reading-up on the AJAX technique for web/browser
> applications. The latest DDJ has a good article on it
> <http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=9948/ddj0602c/0602c.html>. I was
> looking
> a nice Java implementation of it called DWR
> <http://getahead.ltd.uk/ajax>. Now, being the Pythonista that I am I
> was wondering if anyone knows of a Python implementation of AJAX?
> Anyone have any experience working with one?

AJAX is a hot name for some rather basic technology, almost none of
which is too dependent on any particular server-side technology. This
makes the question of Python implementation not totally applicable.
The main thing that helps with AJAX though is when a web framework
has some way of making it easier to build webapps using AJAX features.

Whether this means packaging a Javascript library and adding some
webapp enhancements that return JSON (as TurboGears does), or having
a bunch of helper functions that do common Javascript operations
reducing the need to learn much Javascript at all (like my port of
the Rails helpers to Python, called RailsHelpers).

Current Python web frameworks that make AJAX fairly easy, and the
Javascript lib they use+Python help:
- Aquarium
- Myghty (Custom Javascript)
- TurboGears (MochiKit, JSON)
- Pylons (Prototype/Scriptaculous, RailsHelpers)

I'm sure more of the many Python web frameworks also have some added
convenience methods for AJAX as well, these are mainly the ones I'm
aware of. :)

Hope that helps,
Ben