[Baypiggies] stat.ST_BLKSIZE?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jan 22 03:28:36 CET 2006

On 1/21/06, Chris Palmer <chris at noncombatant.org> wrote:
> Will this API ever be cleaned up, having only one return value with all
> items visible? It's confusing to show a tuple but to also have a secret
> object with more stuff in it. To me, the natural choice of return value
> is a dictionary containing everything the underlying OS provides.

We'll clean it up in 3.0. Until then, we can't, for backwards
compatibility reasons that should be obvious.

As far as the "ideal" API, I much prefer attributes over a dict -- why
should I have to type quotes and square brackets when a dot will do?
There's always the introspection API (e.g. dir()) if for some obscure
reason you need the list of all supported names.