[Baypiggies] [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

John J. Dooley jxd6 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 08:22:05 CET 2006

What do python programmers use to browse source code? I found a project I
was interested in (paramiko) and wanted to get a quick overview of the
modules, classes, dependcies and trace from method to method.

The python.org wiki had lists of development IDE and editors ( I had ignored
the wiki upto this point - big mistake) and that gave me a list programs to
start with. If it was available on my unbuntu 5.10 system, I gave it a try.
Here is my quick impression:

   source navigator- quirky UI. Could not figure out how to get it to list
classes and mehods in classes.I used this for C++ in the past and got it to
work. I supposedly had a libray for python but perhps it was limited in
function. Does anyone use this?

  bicycle repair - seems to want gvim with python scripting, or emacs, or
IDLE. I use straight vim and didn't want to have to upgrade VIM to try it
out or learn the others. Anyone think its worth the trouble?

  PyPe - I must of hit some wrong buttons becuase it would disappear before
I could see what it could do.

Pida - I was confused by the installation requirements and quickly skipped
over it.

drpython - could open a directory of python modules and bring up the
class/methods. Source attractively highted. Seems to do all the basic stuff,
well. Kind of simple and stark.

SPE(Stani'sPython Editor) -  quicker than DrPython, attractive source
formating, UML display, easy class navigation.

I removed all of the above but SPE and DrPython. SPE seems the most
promising.

In short, I Just needs a source browser that allows me to make a quick
analysis of other people's python source code packages - look at the source,
see the class structure in navigate to module, class quickly. For my own
development, I use VIM.

SPE looks pretty reasonable. Is there any other worth looking at? Should I
take a further look at the ones I rejected?