[Baypiggies] [baypiggies] Python Source Browser

Kael Fischer kael.fischer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:23:53 CET 2006

I use emacs (or xemacs) with the 'speedbar.'  The emacs python mode parses
the code in to classes and methods and presents them on the menu and as a
tree in the speedbar pane.  Of course the code is properly highlighted and
all that.  I can definitely recommend that setup.

I have looked at a lot of options, like the ones you mention.  For me having
a stable system that runs on unix/linux/mac/windows with a minimum of
trouble and good functionality kept driving me away from newer projects like
SPE and drpython and toward add-ons to more mature programs like
[x]emacs/vi[m].  The emacs speedbar source browser thingamajig is just the
ticket for me.  My only reservation is that while the RCS/CVS support is
very good, subversion doesn't seem to be hooked in to the emacs world yet.
It's probably out there but the CVS/RCS stuff "just works".

I also use pydoc quite a bit

-Kael

--
Kael Fischer, Ph.D
DeRisi Lab - Univ. Of California San Francisco