[Baypiggies] Everything Your Professor Failed to Tell You About Functional Programming

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 31 22:13:16 CET 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:

> I wrote an article for "Linux Journal" called "Everything Your Professor
> Failed to Tell You About Functional Programming".  It's mainly about
> Haskell, but I thought I'd post it here because a) it's a fun read b) a
> few of the examples are in Python.  I remain a Python fan(atic).
> Hopefully some of you will enjoy the article.

Thanks for writing this article!  It looks nice and meaty, and I've always
wanted to learn more about monads.

(Quick note on the reference to NULL in SQL; C.J. Date definitely doesn't
like NULL at all; his O'Reilly book "Database in Depth" says that NULLs
break the relational model and the relational algebra; the violations that
NULL presents in SQL makes the algebra nonsensical.  So in a sense, NULLs
do cause his his universe to come crashing down.  *grin*)