[Baypiggies] Meeting location (was Videotaping presentations)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jun 2 23:53:20 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> ----- On Friday, June 2, 2006 aahz at pythoncraft.com wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006, Marilyn Davis wrote:
>>>
>>> Again, what is the reason for having the confusion and complication of
>>> two meeting sites when one has creature-discomforts and is harder to
>>> reach for many more people?
>>
>> Do other people agree that IronPort is really that much more
>> uncomfortable than Google?  Believe me, I'm extremely sympathetic to the
>> issue of acoustics, but there have also been a number of people who can
>> get to IronPort but not Google.  As long as that is a significant
>> population, I don't think we should cut them out.  Perhaps finding
>
> I thought that Stephen's survey discovered that there are many more
> people who can get to Google but not Ironport than vice-versa.  And I
> think it showed that the further north and east, the fewer people.

>From my POV, it wouldn't matter if there were five hundred people who
could get to Google but not IronPort, as long as there are at least ten
or fifteen people who can get to IronPort but not Google.  And, yes, I'm
speaking as someone for whom Google is much easier to reach than
IronPort.  BayPIGgies is for the SF Bay Area Python community, and I
think an important aspect of community is making community resources
available to as many different members of the community as possible,
rather than maximizing the resources given to "central" members of the
community.

If there are only five or ten people who can get to IronPort but not
Google, that changes the equation a bit -- it certainly is possible to
reach a point of diminishing returns.

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
right there."  --Steve Gonedes